Monday, March 10, 2008

My Goal With This Blog

Basically my goal is to build a remote controlled car that will go at least 100mph. This blog will chronicle my progress so that others may be able to also achieve this. Any speed over 100mph will be an added bonus, and eventually I may enter a car I build into the world record RC top speed challenge that RCCA Magazine holds each year. Many people have reached 100mph before me, so this is nothing new. I would like to reach it efficiently and affordable while using a solid platform that could be used to achieve an extreme top speed.

In meeting my goals I’m setting some perimeters for myself. These are loosely based on the rules that RCCA uses for its challenge:

1. The wheelbase must be 24” or less.

2. The car must resemble some vehicle & have a place for a driver.

3. Electric or Nitro powered (I’m using electric).

4. The car must be drivable after the top speed run.

5. The top speed run will be verified initially with an onboard speedometer, then verified with radar.



Outside of the “rules” I set for myself I’m setting some goals for my car.

1. The car will be made with parts that can be bought online or at most hobby shops (this means no extreme fabrication will be used until I fail miserably and go all out to reach my own arbitrary goal).

2. Based on the above goal I would like to keep this project affordable for anyone to build. Ideally the car should cost less than $500.

3. The car will be able to race in some form of current class when the run is over (Oval, Touring, Drag, ect…). This is mainly for my piece of mind that I didn’t build a single purpose speed machine that will go to waste after I break the sound barrier (I’ll be happy breaking the speed limit).

4. The car will be electric. I think that electricity may power all of our cars in the future, so developing high speed electric vehicles seems to be a reasonable pursuit.

5. In a top speed setup, the car should be able to do roughly 20 100mph runs without a major rebuild.


I have already started the design phase & should be posting regularly as the car comes together.


I have done some research on the subject and found some other builders with parallel interests, so I would like to give them credit and allow people to see other parts of the hobby. I will provide links to anything I find on the web that may relate to high speed RC.

No comments: