Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Shiny Green + 63,000RPM = Fast?

Mamba Max Time

What sounds like a catchy intro for tonight’s episode of dancing with the stars (don’t ask why I know that) is actually an intro to the motor I’ve chosen for my dragster. http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_max.html

The Mamba Max is a motor made by castle creations that offers brushless power & high RPM’s for a decent price. I ended up choosing the Mamba Max for 3 reasons.
The price. I snagged mine off of eBay with shipping for around $100 less than what the other packages cost. This enables me to stay within my original budget goal.
Allot of people are using them. Drag racing, off road racing, carpet racing. They all seem to agree that the Mamba line of motors is versatile enough for all of these applications.
The RPM rating makes it a capable candidate for my 100mph project. Also it will fit in a touring car or a truck, so it enables me to try to reach 100mph in a variety of platforms.

For my application I chose the model that will spin at 5700 RPM per volt. They do make a Mamba Max 6600, and a Mamba Max 7700, but those are limited to 2s lipo packs. They are limited to prevent mechanical failure so a quick estimate of the math shows:

7700RPM x 7.4V (2s Lipo) = 56,980
6600RPM x 7.4V (2s Lipo) = 48,840
5700RPM x 11.1V (3s Lipo) = 63,270 RPMs!!!

Here is s nice link castle puts out that shows the capabilities of their products. (Ignore the speed results that they have since those are with different gearing & weight than what I will use.) http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/speed_and_gearing_chart.pdf

Did I forget to mention that I will be using lipo packs for this project? Ah yes, the new “black gold” of electric power, lipo (lithium polymer) batteries offer more voltage at a higher discharge rate for a longer period of time than similar Nickel Cadmium batteries. The problem? Lipos can catch on fire if they get too hot, too low in charge, or too much of just about anything. So you must have a specific charger, and other equipment to properly charge the batteries. This sounds like a big deal, but there has been a ton of literature written on the subject, and it seems straightforward. I haven’t used the lipos yet, but Ill post any explosive results I get with these little powerhouses. I ordered My LiPo’s from Max Amps. I’ll do a full review when I’ve used them in multiple vehicles.
http://www.maxamps.com/index.php

Back to the motor
So as you can see from my calculations the Mamba Max 5700 has a higher RPM rating when being used with the recommended batteries. In order to stay within my rules of being able to operate the car after the run, I decided doing what the manufacturer says to do would be best. Now if I break the 100mph barrier and decide to test the limits, you can bet I will strap one of the 7700 Mamba Max’s to my dragster and see what happens.

No comments: